Pages

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Kindergarten Plans

September is quickly approaching (runs and hides under rock) which means our little Spitfire will be starting Kindergarten!  She was super excited last summer to start kindergarten but I told her then we'd call it PRE kindergarten and that satisfied her.  Now that we are actually starting kindergarten, she is not as thrilled.  Go figure!

Laminating is FUN!

Our plans include (but are not limited to):

Phonics/Reading
We are finishing up Pre-Level 1 but I hope to complete All About Reading Level 1 this year.

Read Alouds/Morning Basket
I've compiled a reading list (future post?) drawing from 4 sources of good literature for Spitfire and Firecracker.  I will also read selections from Kindergarten Stories and Morning Talks by Sara E. Wiltse.

Handwriting
After finishing My First School Book we will work on Letters and Numbers for Me from Handwriting Without Tears.  We will also use the wooden letter pieces (again) and our homemade sandpaper letters (again!).

Math
I debated for so long about which curriculum to choose for math.  I settled on Rightstart Math Level A.  I'm hoping the hands on approach really resonates with Spitfire.  She is a tricky one to pin down!

Religion
We will draw from several resources (My Jesus and I from CHC, Catholic Children's Treasure Box 1-20, Leading Little Ones to Mary, and Kindergarten Catechism from Seton) as well as reading along the Liturgical year with picture books and accompanying crafts!

Music
We will continue with Making Music Praying Twice!

Movement
We will continue with Perceptual Motor Lesson Plans by Jack Capon.

History/Science/Nature Study/Geography
A selection of living books that will be added to our morning basket.  We will also do science experiments from the Magic School Bus science kits for some hands on learning. Perhaps (and hopefully!!!!) start a nature journal.

Arts and Crafts
Pinterest and other Blogs will be my inspiration!

Habit Training
This might be the biggest thing I want to work on this year!  Yes, even more than phonics or math!  The two resources we are going to use are Laying Down the Rails and Laying Down the Rails for Children from Simply Charlotte Mason.  We will try to role play and model appropriate behavior.

In addition, we will be seeking enrichment from our local (awesome) homeschooling community!  Hopefully I will be back soon to post my goals for Firecracker!  Hint: Montessori and busy bags! :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment